Office 365 is a powerful suite of creative and collaborative tools. To get the most out of O365, Microsoft offers a training center that contains essential learning resources. Please take a minute and visit the O365 Training Center to get acquainted with the powerful tools at your disposal.
To learn how to create a mailing list, click here!
To learn how to create an email signature, click here!
Desktop: To set automatic (out-of-office) replies using the Outlook destop client, click here!
Web: To set automatic (out-of-office) replies using the Outlook web client, click here!
Mobile: To set automatic (out-of-office) replies using the Outlook mobile app, click here!
To learn how to create a reusable email template, click here!
On a Windows Machine
To make your inbox searching more effective, ensure you are using the folder select dropdown found just to the right of your search bar.
Note: Searching all mailboxes will not search folders that have been shared with you. To search delegated (shared) folders, you must go into a folder in the delegated mail file and then search within that folder or within the mail file.
You can also filter and refine your searches for added accuracy. To find out more, click here!
On a Mac
- To search your inbox on a Mac start by opening Outlook and navigating to the search tab
- Next, select the criterion for your search
- Finally, type your search into the search bar in the top right of the window
- A shared mailbox is a term for a secondary account. These accounts are typically accessed by multiple people.
- Users who are granted access to a shared mailbox will see the shared account below their primary account when they log in to OUtlook.
View the table below for the difference between a Primary and Secondary account:
|Account Features||Primary Account (Personal Email)||Secondary Account (Shared Mailbox)|
|Yes (Passport York authenticated)||No (users with permissions can access the shared mail via their personal account. Must be on O365)|
|100 GB||50 GB|
|User can delegate access to other users||User must submit a ticket requesting access|
|Users can provide folder-level access, and granular calendar access (view/edit access)||Only users with full access permissions can provide shared mailboxes multi-level or granular access to folders and calendars|
|Can be set by primary users||Can be set by primary users through the Outlook Web App|
|Can be added as a member to all group types||Can be added as a member of a distribution list but not a security group|
|Yes. Can be accessed via IOS/Android client, and can have multiple accounts attached||Can be accessed via IOS/Android client, and can have multiple accounts attached|
|Yes. If multiple accounts are configured, may become temporarily unstable||Yes. During the adding process, the Outlook client freezes temporarily. Normal function will restore automatically shortly after|
|By default, stored in the user’s personal Sent Folder, but by request (via ticket) sent mail can be stored in a delegate’s sent folder||By default, sent mail is stored in the sender’s personal Sent Folder, but by request (via ticket) sent mail can be stored in the shared mailbox’s sent folder|
|Requires a PY account associated with the owner||A secondary account is generally used by a department or for a course|
|Yes||Central Web and Shared Mailbox services only|
Windows Desktop: To add a shared mailbox using the Windows Outlook desktop client, click here!
Mac Desktop: To add a shared mailbox using the Mac Outlook desktop client, click here!
To learn how to schedule a meeting and track responses, click here!
To learn how to schedule a meeting room, click here!
To learn how to delegate your email to another user, click here!
To learn how to delegate your calendar to another user, click here!
To learn how to access a delegated inbox, click here!
To learn how to access a delegated calendar, click here!
- Outlook 2016 Essential Training
- Outlook 2016: Efficient Email Management
- Outlook 2016: Time Management with Calendar and Tasks
- Outlook 2016: Tips and Tricks
Accessing Lynda Courses Directly
You can access Lynda's incredible learning materials directly through its website
1. From the home page, click Sign In
2. Next, click Sign in with your organization portal
3. Now, enter yorku.ca into the input field, and click Continue. You will be redirected to Passport York.
4. Finally, enter your Passport York username and password
- Getting Started with Outlook
- Increasing Your Productivity With Outlook
- Mail Merge in Word and Outlook